7 Tips for Good Luck in the Year of the Sheep
by Vanessa Salas
With the arrival of the Chinese New year comes a question as inevitable as red angpao envelopes, (illegal) firecrackers, dragon dances and sticky tikoy: How lucky will I be this year?
Being half-Chinese (one third actually, according to my father), checking my Chinese horoscope for Rabbit people like me has become an annual tradition-of-sorts. If it's going to be a lucky year, then good for me, but if not, I find out what I need to do to counteract the negativity.
Based on the Chinese Lunar calendar, the Year of the Wood Sheep officially begins from 19 February 2015 to 7 February 2016. It is said that this will be a period of good fortune, peace and abundance.
Whether you're a believer or not, it doesn't hurt to check what you can do to get rid of the bad stuff from our lives.
Here's what Fengshui expert Hanz Cua recommends you do to attract abundance this year.
1. Do some spring cleaning. Fix or get rid of broken appliances, clean all corners of your home, remove clutter. Dirty surroundings are said to invite poverty into your life, but you don't really need a fenshui expert to get you to clean up, right
2. Surround yourself with the color green. It's said to be the lucky color of the year.
3. Twelve lucky fruits. These are supposed to represent each month of the year, and each represent something auspicious that you'd want more of in your life like money, good relationships, harmony. Even if you don't believe in this, adding more fruits in your diet is always a good thing.
The fruits are: pineapple, orange, apple, grapes, banana, mangoes, lemon, watermelon, papaya, lychees, avocados, and pomelo.
4. Use angpao envelopes. These represent payment to appease ghosts so as not to harm its recipients, and the color red means protection and good luck.
5. Make noise. Firecrackers are widely used during the new year to ward off evil spirits, but you can also opt to bang pots and pans or use a "torotot" to create noise.
6. Wear jade. Whatever your zodiac sign, wearing jade accessories is always considered lucky.
7. Fix your plumbing and electrical systems. Any broken plumbing or light bulbs are said to disrupt the flow of chi, which in turn slows down good luck from coming into your life.
Here some bonus tips!
Get a haircut. It's supposed to activate the Peach Blossom star of romance, especially for singles looking for their one true love.
Face the right direction. Depending on your Chinese zodiac sign, you need to find ways have the star of misfortune or "Tai Sui" facing the opposite direction behind you. You need to know where it is located so that you can find the correct position.
Happy new year! In various Chinese dialects:
Cantonese: Kung Hei Fat Choi
Hokkien: Sin Ni khòai lok (or the more widely known Gong Xi Fa Cai , which actually means "Congratulations on getting more wealth")
Mandarin: Xin Nien Kwai Le
Take a look at some of our new accessories in auspicious colors like green or red. Or make some noise to ward off bad spirits by cranking up the volume on your Speakers hooked up to your Smartphone, Laptop or Tablet! Check out our SHOP today.