Apple AirPods 2 Rumored to Arrive on March 29
Are you a fan of the Apple AirPods, or do you dislike them for their contribution to the removal of the iPhone’s 3.5mm headphone jack? Whichever your feelings on the matter, it seems that rumors are going around that the latest iteration of the wireless wonders—the Apple AirPods 2—will be released later this month, specifically on March 29.
Where are these rumors coming from? As reported by 9to5Mac there’s a apparently a screencap going around of an unknown electronics distributor’s logistics and product stock management software, one that shows how the original AirPods will be reaching the end of their life cycle come March 28. The screenshot is purported to have come from someone within Apple’s supply chain.
While the bit about the original AirPods’ life cycle ending can mean a great many things, in the context of supply chain management and logistics, it usually pertains to the product in question being discontinued. This can be due to a supplier or distributor deciding that they’re not going to buy new stock of the product, either because sales have dropped considerably, or that the company responsible for the product is going to stop production. Since airpods have proven to be quite popular among Apple device users, the latter reason—that the original product is being discontinued to give way to a newer model—is much more likely. This in turn also lends credence to the Apple AirPods 2 release date rumor.
Another tidbit that favors this is trusted Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo reporting that he expects the AirPods 2 to ship sometime during the first half of 2019. Late March falls squarely in that prediction.
Not So Fast
We wouldn’t get too excited about all this buzz, however, as there is some substantial evidence that this rumor may be false. First, there’s the “counter-rumor" that Apple will be holding a media event on March 25th at the Steve Jobs Theatre, and one that apparently won’t focus on hardware. If the electronics giant was indeed coming out with a completely new version of their revolutionary wireless Bluetooth earbuds, then at the very least, they would tease about it at this event.
Secondly, Onleaks, the Twitter account of Steve H McFly—also a very reputable source when it comes to Apple product leaks—revealed back in February 2019 that the Apple AirPods 2 are likely to be released during the United States’ fall season. This translates to sometime around the start of the holiday season for us in the Philippines.
That being said, there may be something else to look forward to this March 29. Some are speculating that the reason for the original AirPods’ end-of-life isn’t the AirPods 2, but rather an improved version of the original with a few new added features, such as wireless charging. This rumor makes a bit more sense, especially if you consider the fact that the Apple’s highly anticipated wireless charging pad, the AirPower, has been confirmed by the company itself to be able to wirelessly charge not just your iPhone but also your AirPods and the case they come with. So there’s that.
Possible Future Features
Whatever comes out at the end of March, however, there’s no denying that the arrival of the AirPods 2 will be one that hardcore Apple fans around the world will receive with much fanfare. Here are just some of the new features it’s touted to offer:
- Better wireless connectivity. Awesome connectivity is always a good thing, especially if you constantly use your AirPods as they were meant to be used.
- Hands-free Siri connectivity. Need to call up Apple’s personal digital assistant without having to engage your hands? The new AirPods’ baked-in voice activation of Siri should prove convenient for this purpose.
- Splash and rain resistance. This will make the new airpods a viable choice to be part of your workout arsenal. It’s a shame we can’t take them swimming like we can the Apple Watch, but we’ll take what we can get.
- Ambient sound handling. A patent uncovered last year revealed that Apple is looking to change the way the AirPods handle outside noise. For instance, Apple could employ a tiny microphone that would allow specific frequencies or sounds to be filtered from your listening experience without you having to take your AirPods off. This could prove handy for safety reasons, as it would allow you to still be aware of your surroundings while listening to your music.
- Noise cancellation. The patent above also leads us to believe that Apple may also be working on making the AirPods that much better in isolating background noise.
- Longer battery life. Every new iteration of a gadget usually results in a marked improvement in their battery life. However, we do have to be realistic here, especially since the AirPods’ size will likely preclude it from having a much improved battery life. Still, we’d love it if we could squeeze an hour or so more from them in one single charge.
That’s all we have at the moment regarding this rumor about the Apple AirPods 2’s upcoming release. If it does turn out to be true, then you can expect us to let you know as soon as possible. If not, then at least we can look forward to 2019’s holiday season for more news regarding this highly anticipated product. As always, watch this space for further updates!